JOB TITLE: PHLEBOTOMIST/LABORATORY ASSISTANT
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for assisting Laboratory staff with laboratory specimen collection and laboratory testing and also with clerical, environmental and organizational tasks. Provide information to patients so they may fully utilize and benefit from the clinic services. Convey a positive image for the clinic.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Laboratory Director.
- Perform or assist with specimen collection;
- Phlebotomies (blood draws) from patients of all ages and physical conditions.
- Give patients and providers directions in collecting urine, sputum, stool, and other specimens.
- Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served by Medical Park Family Care, Inc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span (infant/pediatric/adolescent/adult/geriatric).
- Assess data reflective of the patient’s status.
- Interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age specific needs.
- Provide the care needed as defined in the specific laboratory procedures.
- Meets the minimum qualifications of testing personnel in a moderately complex Laboratory, as defined in 493.1489 of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA'88).
- Follow the testing personnel responsibility standard as defined in 493.1495 of CLIA ‘88.
a. Each individual performs only those tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual’s education, training or experience, and technical abilities
b. Each individual performing testing must:
i. Follow the Laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
ii. Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
iii. Follow all of the Laboratory’s Quality Assurance procedures.
- Perform and document all required quality control activities.
- Perform and record all required instrument maintenance and calibration activities.
- Follow the Laboratory’s established procedures whenever test systems are not within the Laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results;
a. Correct the problem(s), or
b. Report the problem(s) to the Laboratory Medical Director.
i. Document all corrective actions taken to correct problem(s).
- Prepare specimens for sending out to various Reference Laboratories.
a. Log test results from send out Laboratories in the appropriate patient files.
- Disseminate test results to the appropriate individuals and departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Director.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned which may include, but not limited to;
- Sending/receiving patient medical records, referral information, etc.;
- Completing forms/requisitions as needed to ensure information is completed and filed appropriately.
- Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned which may include, but not limited to;
a. Setting up instruments and equipment according to department protocol.
b. Restocking phlebotomy and lab areas.
- Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned which may include, but not limited to:
- Respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergency codes; sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisors quickly.
- Adhere to Medical Park Family Care, Inc. policies and procedures.
1. High school diploma is required.
2. Graduate of an accredited Phlebotomy Program and certification through ASCP or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of one year work experience in public contact job, preferably service related.
- Experience or interest in health care.
1. Knowledge of health care field and medical specialty.
2. Knowledge of specific assisting tasks related to particular medical specialty.
3. Knowledge of information that must be conveyed to patients and families.
1. Skilled in performing tasks appropriately.
2. Skilled in effective communication and diplomacy in interpersonal interactions.
3. Skilled in understanding of patient education needs, by effectively sharing information with patients and families.
1. Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures.
2. Ability to project a pleasant and professional image.
3. Ability to plan, prioritize and complete delegated tasks.
4. Ability to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with others.
1. Work will require frequent stooping and bending and occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds to waist height.
2. Work may require manual dexterity for using a computer keyboard, repetitive manual laboratory techniques.
3. Work involves frequent patient contact including elderly and pediatric patients. Age specific competencies for specimen collection is required.
4. Work involves an often times busy and potentially confusing workload. The ability to multitask and retain the highest quality standards is required.
5. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time.
6. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Must have normal color vision acuity as demonstrated by Ishihara Vision Test.
7. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours.
- General Laboratory Environment -Biosafety Level 1 and 2 involving agents that pose moderate hazards to personnel and the environment.
- Combination office and exam settings, frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Medical Park Family Care is a family oriented business with many long-term employees and excellent benefits. Health, dental, vision and life insurance, PTO and Holiday pay, 401K with employer match. Medical Park Family Care is drug and nicotine free.
If you're interested in this position, please fill out our online application. RESUMES WITHOUT COMPLETED APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.